Hard chrome is a surface protection against corrosion at machine parts.
We are able to coat the following materials with hard chrome:
- Alloyed and unalloyed steels
- Hardened steels
- A large number of cast iron steels
- Copper and brass
A hard chrome coat has the following properties:
High wear resistance and hardness up to 1000 HV, good corrosion resistance against many media, a very low friction coefficient, high temperature and tamishing resistance, a good response to polishing, and anti-adhesive performance.
Excellent benefits of hard chrome plating in technology:
Significant increase of the lifetime of wear parts, trouble-free machine runtime, e.g. at train mills. High-quality machine parts can be repaired with hard chrome without warping. No adhesion of the media at the surface during injection moulding, at core endplates in the rubber, plastics, glass and wood industry thus increasing the performance significantly.
These chrome plating procedures are available from us:
- The ONE COAT PROCEDURE with high grade hard chrome with micro-cracks is the most cost-effective type of coating. Depending on the load, coats of 10 – 500 μm thickness against abrasion and corrosion can be produced.
- The TWO COAT PROCEDURE consists of a 10 μm thick ductile hard chrome coat and a 50 μm thick hard chrome coat with micro-cracks and is particularly suited to demanding areas of application through its increased level of corrosion protection.
- COMBINATION COATING, for example, with a 40 μm chemical nickel coat and a 50 μm hard chrome coat with micro-cracks fulfils the highest corrosion requirements. This procedure is very cost-intensive. It is used when there is heavy chemical contamination coupled with significant levels of abrasion.
- The DURWACOAT Chrome® chrome plating procedure to increase lifetimes of the surface of cold rollers.
- MultiChrome An-4-SD® hard chrome procedure appropriate for highest levels of corrosion and abrasion (proprietary development) - more information is available in the download area.
Our hard chrome system is designed for the following dimensions and weights of the components:
Work pieces with the following maximum values can be treated in our 6 hard chrome plating systems:
max. length: 8,000 mm
max. diameter: 1,200 mm
max. weight: 20,000 kg
Precision grinding, whether between centres or centreless, including polish-grinding before coating with hard chrome, is a prerequisite for perfect quality. The chrome coat is the mirror image of the substrate.